Pages

Monday, September 2, 2019

If you were going to be placed on a deserted island and could take ONLY ONE whole album of music... what would YOURS be?



You know... I've never been one who really entertains those seemingly endless "G.O.A.T." debates about who the "greatest of all time" supposedly is -- especially in music and sports, what with all the straight up legends and unbelievably skilled and talented people who have done both over the course of human history -- not to mention how subjective people's opinions are about such things.

Even when someone asks a question like: "...if you were going to be stuck on a deserted island (lol... that had power and a record player as all deserted islands do, right?) ... what ONE record album by ONE single artist (or group) would you choose to bring if you could only bring one and ONLY one with you?" ... and I begin to try to tell myself, "No. That's not even possible to decide and I won't even go there..." but... the question still lingers... unanswered... or is it?

If I push myself further... and let's say: I allowed the person to take the question to an absurd extreme and pose it in the following way to force some kind of response: "If some terrorists kidnapped and were going to torture and kill you if you DIDN'T choose just one album to take to a deserted island that they were going to put you on..."

Well... ok then... I can't deny... if faced with THAT ridiculous amount of hypothetically hyperbolic pressure... there IS one that pops 100% INVOLUNTARY right there into my mind - front and center EVERY TIME and it hasn't wavered from that position -- for me -- for nearly 30 years... so... just maybe I do have an all time favorite... how about you?



The JOHN COLTRANE QUARTET • A Love Supreme • (1965)




No comments: